Posted by roger chen - kaysuns industry limited
Chile 's Minister of Mines Baldo Prokurica said in an interview with the media on Thursday that the current resumption rate of mining company workers is less than 30%, but these companies are doing their best to ensure the continuity of operations. The Covid-19 epidemic is expected to reach its peak this week, so mining companies will evaluate the decision to resume work.
Baldo Prokurica stated that he will consult with the Ministry of Finance on how to quickly advance project development after the outbreak. He said that the Chilean government has made commitments to help enterprises overcome the current difficulties, but if the mining industry does not actively promote production, it will not fulfill these commitments and provide financial support.
So far, about 100 companies have extended each shift to 14 days, and usually only 7 days to reduce worker travel and avoid infections in mining facilities. The authorities also required mining companies to use local workers as much as possible to avoid the movement of people between regions.
Procurica revealed that due to the second phase development project of Quebrada Blanca of Tektronix, the expansion project of Los Pelambres of Antofagasta Minerals, As well as the suspension of Codelco 's Inca open pit and Andina plans, about 24,000 workers were dismissed.
Prokurica said that this is a painful, difficult and complicated decision, but this is the right choice. Mining companies will face operational difficulties because 20% of the local mining industry suffers losses.
Visit source sitemining industryChileWorkers