The SME reports to the Reliability Superintendent. The SME works in
close co-ordination with the Rotating Equipment Group (REG) and the
Rotating Equipment Superintendent. The SME will primarily interact
with Unit Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Inspection, Projects,
Operations, Maintenance, and TAR.
- Authors and approves STP's
- Interprets and applies code standards and specifications forapplication
- Acts as technical reviewer for job notes, scope or work and design review for new equipment.
- Develops and leverages relationships with other technical experts both internally (RTE and other BU's) and externally to BP
- Reviews and approves engineered SMI's
- Identifies and considers new technologies with Refining
- Technology & Engineering (RTE) collaboration.
- Provides input to equipment operating envelopes
- Performs support fitness for service evaluations
- Serves as technical authority review for deferrals (Over speed and pressure boundary inspection)
- Leads and supports significant RCAs and Incident investigations
- Provides expert support and advise to Rotating Equipment
- Engineering and Asset Teams
- Develops and executes long term equipment reliability plans and defect elimination
- Disseminates industry practices through equipment strategies
- Recommends PM requirements
- Analyzes metrics pertaining to rotating equipment
- Develops mitigation plans for specific equipment into the unit risk plans
- Identifies risks on the unit risk lists
- Analyzes the availability data for rotating equipment and classes
- Champions equipment condition monitoring activities and new technology implementation.
- With the relevant asset team, identifies reliability/availability improvement type projects and develops initial justification, incentives and business value to support the funding request.
- Initiates project requests for both reliability improvement and equipment replacements "end of life" type projects
- Has familiarity of all refinery reliability project work in business development or active CVP stages relating to rotating equipment
- Provides input/feedback into new technology identification, development, and selection
- Provides expert support and advise to the Project department
- Expected to play a leading role in the coaching and development of rotating engineers at Whiting Refinery
- Extensive technical and practical experience in rotating equipment including;
- Compressors (Centrifugal and Reciprocating)
- Mechanical seals
- Strong reliability engineering experience
- Minimum of ten years rotating equipment engineering experience in petrochemical/ refining environments
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
New service from OilVoice
is for companies who need to track their staff in areas of risk.
It's free to use, so we invite you to try it