The DCS Team Lead is accountable for the operation, maintenance, and future strategy (design and implementation) of the site distributed control system (DCS). You will lead a team of Process Control DCS specialists, system specialists, and Process Control Assistants. The group has shared responsibility for all software (and limited hardware) on the process computing system. As the DCS Team Lead, you will be accountable for the site operator training simulators (both new construction and ongoing support) as well as digital security for the process based computer networks at the Refinery.
Cherry Point Refinery is a user of Honeywell Experion, Honeywell TDC3000, and OSI PI technology.
You will be responsible for the safe execution of work by and the development of the DCS Team. You will collaborate with the rest of the Process Control Team, Technical teams, Operations, and Instrumentation and Electrical to help optimize the process control systems of the Cherry Point Refinery.
- Lead and manage the performance of Process Control DCS Specialists, System Specialists, and DCS Assistants. There are 5 initial direct reports.
- Direct accountability for Cherry Point DCS systems and infrastructure. This non-exclusively includes:
- System hardware troubleshooting & maintenance
- Application development
- Interface maintenance & development
- System & network configuration
- System security
- System backups & emergency recovery
- PI Historian
- Long-term planning
- Implement the performance review / personnel development process; set team and individual performance objectives and monitor progress.
- Manage induction / training activities of all new Process Control staff. Ensure coaching, mentoring, and training programs are in place to foster capability and assure competent execution.
- Effectively handle conflicting demands and priorities. Take measures to ensure all work is accomplished safely, efficiently, and on schedule.
- Engage, motivate, and inspire the contribution of others.
- Ensure appropriate MoC is followed within the team.
- Understand and apply OMS elements.
- Assist Process Control Superintendent in the leadership of the Process Control team
- Maintain the off-line operator training simulator and insure consistency with the on-line system. Add / subtract functionality through minor model modifications. When contractors are utilized perform project management activities and/or effectively delegate to his/her team.
- Perform economic application analyses, both pre and post project.
- Ability to work as a team player, comply with standards, follow management of change policies, and fully document projects and activities.
- Manage and guide both contractor personnel and interdisciplinary teams.
- Stay abreast of the latest automation technologies and provide innovative solutions to optimize both the process and the control systems.
- Assist in training and development of Process Control Engineers, I&E staff, and Operation Technicians.
- Understand company HSE practices, policies, & procedures and participate in refinery hazard analysis and root cause failure analysis.
- Participate in knowledge transfer with other BP facilities.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in industrial process control, process engineering, or refining / petrochemical leadership.
- Effective communication skills with all levels in the refinery and the ability to communicate technical information both oral and written.
- Effective interaction with the Process Control Team and with interdisciplinary refinery teams.
- A bias towards action, a commitment to performance delivery, and an eye for accuracy and detail.